Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cut out and sewn up in one day!

It's been ages since I have made a garment so quickly.  Of course, it helps that this tunic is a Kwik Sew pattern (3203 tunic and pull on pants).  I have had this rayon blend in my stash for awhile.  The print is by Robert Kaufman and it might be from fabric.com in about 2003.  Don't exactly remember.

I tried to plan out where the motifs would fall to avoid highlighting my bust area, but I'm not sure how well I succeeded.  I'll try it on tomorrow and take photos again.

Finished tunic

Slit opening at CF neckline

Pretty bird motif

Here's the dart and bust point.  Oops, not sure how this will look.

I also cut out a little seersucker summer top, using pattern McCall's 6035.  I will get sewing on it tomorrow.

Happy sewing!

Update:  photo taken

Giving my husband camera instructions while having one's photo taken - not such a good idea.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Practice dress

For the last two days, I have been making a wearable muslin to try out a new pattern.  I need a cool dress & jacket to wear in Atlanta in June and it needs to look academic professional.  I bought some 100% linen in gray and beige for the dress and beige linen/rayon blend to make a jacket.

So, I am using Material Thing's Fearless Dress #107 for my pattern.  I am making view A and I chopped off the sleeves.  After getting the muslin done I decided it is just too tight across my hip region, even though by finished measurements on the pattern envelope it should be big enough.  I am guessing it's because I really have hips almost all the way up to my waist!

This red linen look "dress" will be worn as a long jacket.  I am going to modify the sleeves as they are too tight and uncomfortable at the above the elbow length.  They will be shorted and angled up.


Once I enlarge the hip area, and get it cut out of another practice linen look, I will take a photo with it on me.

Update:  Photo

I've decided to sew in the waist tucks as the pattern originally indicated because, right now, it's looking a bit like a sack.  It goes really well with a little poly knit dress I picked up at Walmart.  The solid jacket tones down the multi color red-orange-black-white dress.  Easy outfit!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hexies

Two more blocks completed for the Craftsy Block of the Month Club.  The blocks were originally done via English Paper Piecing, but I just couldn't stomach the idea of handsewing.

So, I found a tutorial online (http://quiltsamplerjournal.blogspot.ca/2012/04/hexagon-challenge.html) that showed me how to use fusible web to skip the handsewing.  I really like how the blocks turned out.

Both blocks together