Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Practice dress

For the last two days, I have been making a wearable muslin to try out a new pattern.  I need a cool dress & jacket to wear in Atlanta in June and it needs to look academic professional.  I bought some 100% linen in gray and beige for the dress and beige linen/rayon blend to make a jacket.

So, I am using Material Thing's Fearless Dress #107 for my pattern.  I am making view A and I chopped off the sleeves.  After getting the muslin done I decided it is just too tight across my hip region, even though by finished measurements on the pattern envelope it should be big enough.  I am guessing it's because I really have hips almost all the way up to my waist!

This red linen look "dress" will be worn as a long jacket.  I am going to modify the sleeves as they are too tight and uncomfortable at the above the elbow length.  They will be shorted and angled up.


Once I enlarge the hip area, and get it cut out of another practice linen look, I will take a photo with it on me.

Update:  Photo

I've decided to sew in the waist tucks as the pattern originally indicated because, right now, it's looking a bit like a sack.  It goes really well with a little poly knit dress I picked up at Walmart.  The solid jacket tones down the multi color red-orange-black-white dress.  Easy outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment